Main image

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Times they are a-changing...

So, I'm in the market for a house to buy. Well, condo really since I can in no way afford a "house" in the D.C. market anytime soon. I can barely afford a 1 bedroom condo in the District...those that I can qualify for are mostly located in what people like to call "transitioning" neighborhoods. Or, by those who feel threatened, "gentrifying". I checked out one place this past weekend, and liked what I saw in the building. A couple pics:

The building was impressive, but the Petworth neighborhood still leaves something to be desired. We walked the neighborhood a bit, and headed to a tucked away Slovakian cafe a few block away known as W - Domku. A great atmosphere with tasty food, and a type of place I could see Petworth/Georgia Ave. need many more of!

So the questions I ask myself: Do I get in early, and hope that like many other neighborhoods close-by redevelopment takes hold? Am I prepared to go from the suburbs, to cookie-cutter (but safe) Arlington, to a potentially rougher, but more diverse part of D.C? How do I feel about being a gentrifier? Can I make a difference in this community? Many questions, and many more hot issues to think about. Much, much more to follow!

Stay well.

Good song: Rocky Votolato - She Was Only In It For The Rain

0 comments:

RSS Feed