Main image

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Kinetic Half

I made it home in one piece - with some hardware. Finally, I reached a lifetime goal of breaking 5 hours with a personal best time of 4:59:49 for a half-iron distance race. This set me up for a 3rd place finish in my age-group...on a technicality I should add, since I was actually 4th but the top giu in my age group placed 3rd overall, thus taking him out of the age-group awards. Hey, I'll take it any way I can get it!

Race conditions were less than desirable, as expected. All was well at the start of the swim, but like clockwork, once I hopped out and onto the bike the deluge began! 56 miles, rain the whole time. Sometimes just a spit, most of the time downpours that stings when it hits you. Sweeeeet. Luckily, the temps held and it was quite comfortable to be out there. I lucked out on the run as it stopped raining for that portion with even a few seconds of sunshine here and there, but as soon as I finished the rain gods returned. I felt for the people still out on the course!

Even the friends I crashed with the night before managed to take home awards in their age-groups as well, so it was a great day for all!

With better race conditions, a flatter course, and a tweaked nutrition strategy I'm right on track for pulling off that 4:45:00 Eagleman finish! Man, I'm such a tri-geek.


Good Song: The Faint - Phone Call

0 comments:

RSS Feed