Main image

Monday, June 25, 2007

Go go speed racer



A busy past few weeks of racing are wrapping up with the start of the infamous, 12th running of the Tour d'Burg! Some serious riding, and serious debauchery are on tap starting Friday with total mountain bike mileage looking to be in the 150 mile range, and road/gravel riding 180 miles racing up 37,000 feet of elevation over 5 days. If you enter the Prologue fat and lazy, you'll be guaranteed to look like LA in his prime (still never as fast) come Wednesday after the final stage. Yeahhh!

Xterra richmond was two weekends ago where I felt like I had a "breakthrough" run performance finishing up with a 12 minute PR, but still only finishing 5th in my age group. Its great to finally feel strong on the run in the heat, but still need to work hard to keep increasing the speed.

Yesterday was the 12 hours of Crank Monkey at Quantico where I attempted the solo race. I took it out fast in the first two laps, then had a major nuclear-sized meltdown during laps 3-5. After five, I had enough and took a casual 3 hour break just hanging out in the pit area taking in the scene, and trying to learn about race the strategy of the other solo riders. Interesting stuff. Put one last lap in around 5pm to end on a good note, and it felt great. A pizza feast ensued shortly thereafter. Total days mileage of 6 laps = ~7 hours of riding = ~ a little less than 60 miles. I think I'm ready for the tour.

0 comments:

RSS Feed