Main image

Monday, October 18, 2010

The next project and a weekly summary! October 11-17 Summary

The next project is to survive the Leadville 100 trail run in 2011, and if all goes perfectly (channeling Denali here!) then hopefully a sub-25 hour finish. 

As I scoured the internets in search of advice for training for a 100 mile race, let alone Leadville specifically, I ran into issue finding any good resources. Lots of race reports, lots of tips and brief bits of advice but nothing that really lays out the journey. So in response I thought this could possibly be a good outlet to record the blood, sweat, and tears that may be shed as the build up to race day nears. In the end it will either show the process of successfully completing a race like Leadville 100, or DNFing. Either way, it'll be here in all its glory to read and learn from!


So without further ado, let me share where I am starting from in terms of fitness:
27 year old male who has been doing focused endurance/aerobic training in some shape or form for the past 7+ years. Mainly triathlon of all shapes and distances. I have completed an Ironman triathlon, 2 relatively tame 50 miler ultras, handful of marathons, some long distance cycling efforts up to 12 hours at a time, and various mountaineering endeavors. All of these with mixed results, and primarily finding myself coming in around upper mid-pack when there is a Finish Line involved in the longer distances. 


This past year (2010), after Denali, I have been focusing more on short (~2 hour) triathlon races with decent success - for me. I was also able to work in some longer rides (9-12hours). Typically this year, my long run has been in the 100 minute length, with 4-5 other runs during the week of tempo, pick-ups, and recovery efforts - in addition to swimming and biking. Total training load per week has averaged around 13 hours since June. 


The plan going forward:
Kick up the long distance trail running! I am shooting to accomplish this through training runs, and ever-increasing ultra-distance races culminating with the magical 100 miles. Hopefully I will do a 100 miler in Spring to get my feet wet, and not have Leadville be my first 100 ON TOP of my first 100 at altitude. Again, this plan will either be a success or failure - time will tell!



10-11-2010
Mon-PM: 8 miles (1:00) Run Commute 
Hopped on the W&OD in Ballston, then on to the Mt. Vernon Trail, across 14th Street Bridge, and pointed it towards home. Concrete miles.



10-12-2010
Tue-PM: 5 miles (:45) Monument Loop
Down along the Potomac, over to the Lincoln, up along the Washington Monument, and down the mall. In search of soft surfaces. Found some.

10-13-2010
Wed-PM: 9 miles (1:15) Long Commute Route
Through Arlington, down to the Heritage Trail, over to the Mt. Vernon trail, across the Memorial bridge and on home.

10-14-2010
Thurs-PM: 7 miles (:53) Direct Commute Route
Ballston to Courthouse, on down to Rosslyn, across 14th street bridge and home sweet home.


10-16-2010
Sat-AM: 20 miles (3:00) Long trail run
Down the mall, over to Mt. Vernon Trail, up the Heritage trail, some rambling north of Chain Bridge, back on the C&O, down and around the Capitol, and back to the homestead.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

What a great goal. Do you know Robi S.? He has done Leadville and might be able to give you some great tips. Let me know if you want his email.

Andy said...

Ah, thanks - good call! I have his info, and will certainly be trying to pick his brain.

RSS Feed